Saturday, June 11, 2011

Old Shoes


 I have this pair of shoes. I have not had them more then 8 months. They have so many miles on them, and many holes in them. They are my favorite shoes: KEEN brand made from recycled materials, size 10, off white laces. I remember when I got them, two pairs of laces came with them, and I worried for the day that would come when I would have to change the off white laces, which I liked so much, to the blue-grey laces. Little did I know that the shoes would go well before the laces. The shoes have three layers. After nearly 8 months of constant wearing them, not only has the inside material been worn off, but the plastic rubbery material has also been worn through. I am now to the outer layer, which little by little, day after day, is slowly starting to fray. I have been in need of new shoes for quite some time now. Why, do you ask, have I not gotten new ones? Well, it is like this. Think of the shoe as a habit; a familiar habit. One that is repeated day in and day out. It doesn’t have to be a bad one, but one that you might like to get rid of, but it still serves you. Sometimes it is hard letting go of old habits, especially when there is not a new one to replace the old one with. I could easily throw my shoes in the trash today; but then I am stuck without shoes until I order new ones. I could also order new shoes tonight and have them the middle of next week. Or, I could have already bought new shoes by now, but have not. Again, think of that habit. Is it hurting anyone? It might be hurting you. Just like my shoes, which have worn out heels. They can’t hurt anyone but myself, because they could easily lead to raw and blistered heels. Again, why haven’t I bought new ones? Because I have not decided what I am going to replace them with. I would go with the exact same brand, color and size, but that is just as replacing a habit with the same habit, only changing the time of day that the habit is routinely preformed. Change can be a scary thing. No matter how big or small; even if it comes down to the style of shoes. What if I don’t like my new selection? What if … what if … what if … Enough with the “what ifs.” Sometimes we just need to do what we know is best for ourselves. My shoes are serving me well right now. They could hurt me, but haven’t. Would I benefit from new shoes? Sure, after I break them in. New shoes could cause more pain to break in, then the possibility of the old ones hurting me. Stop with the excuses already. When the time is right for new shoes, I will know, even if I get hurt in the process. Just as a habit. Is it time to replace the old with a new one? One will know when the time is ready.  

No comments:

Post a Comment