Saturday, June 11, 2011

An Unnamed Poem


This poem was written on June 25, 2010. It was three months after I moved out of my mom's house and in with a friend. There were many struggles and hardships, but I was determined to keep a positive attitude. After a challenging couple of months, I was inspired to write this poem. It never got a name. But it is the first poem that I actually wrote that related to my own life. There is a light at the end of every tunnel. One just has to believe; never loose hope.  




As I sit out on the back deck, I am completely at peace;
The birds are chirping and there is a soft rustle of the wind blowing through the leaves on the trees.
The flowers are blooming beautifully in an array of colors including yellow, orange, white and pink;
I am astounded by this amazing place I call home, which allows for the perfect atmosphere where I can think.
It is this night that I am realizing on a deeper level of whom I am supposed to be.           
I am a masterpiece, currently all covered and hid, waiting for the ceremony of my unveiling.
I know that I have so much to offer so I will no longer hide myself from the world.
This is my time to shine ever so bright, and let myself finally be unfurled.
The me of today is so different from the past,
Yet I still have much work to be done before I am a finished task.
Hardships and hurt have caused deep pain, making me hide myself somewhere within.
As I strip the layers one by one, many memories are relived again.
For no matter how hard we try to bury our pain, it always manages to surface at some point in time.
Sometimes it seems easy to push pain aside, but what helps in the long run is to embark this long climb.
No telling how easy or hard it will be, but make the best out of it, and let the healing start.
Better to begin early, than let deeps wounds fester, for soon enough you be a magnificent piece of art.
No longer will I dwell on who others think I should be,
but believe in myself and just dare to be me.
I will not say my life is starting anew,
for my life never ended, I just grew.
I now have a love for myself that I thought I already had, but my journey is not over for it has only begun.
I will embrace all my trials, hardships and hurt, face them head on and no longer run.
I am prepared for this journey, with all the ups and the downs, the twists and the turns.                                       
But ultimately, to love myself better is what my heart yearns.
The sun is now setting, long shadows are cast,
It makes me realize the sun rises for bright futures, and sets on the past.
No longer am I dwelling on what is behind me, for I cannot change those things.
Instead I am focusing on my future and fulfilling my big dreams.

1 comment:

  1. *Applause* I really like this poem! I can relate to it, too, but in a differant way. Very beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete