Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Planting a small seedling of time for God and watching it grow!

Making time for God. It seems so simple! It seems so logical. But then why can it be so hard? Too often we get so caught up in trying to fit everything into the time that we are given, that we forget that we owe our very existence to God alone!

It has not been until recently that I have started making an effort to make time for God. By planting that very first seedling, more and and more time has seemed to "grow" from it! Now, in every "spare moment" that I find, I am spending it with the Lord! From Adoration, to Mass, to college group, to Bible Study, to reading the Bible and praying my Rosary, to just sitting quietly loving the Lord for all He is and for what he has done in my life!

Back in June, I was barely even meeting my Sunday obligation. I was still going to Church, but it was more like a "going because I had to, and thus let's get it over with." I complained that there was not enough time to do as much as I wanted to. I want to do so much more then time was allowing. All the while forgetting (or trying to ignore) God in my life. But all the while, God was there; God was calling me by name.

Living for God certainly did not come easy at first, and most certainly did not happen overnight. It started a little at a time and has blossomed into what it is today, and continues to grow into what God wills for me!

I highly encourage Bible reading. I had never picked up my Bible with such a sincere intent to read it until this past summer. And even then, it was like reading it maybe once a week, maybe two days in a row, and there were plenty of week long "dry streaks" where my Bible sat there collecting dust. But something was happening to me. I began reading it more and more. I could feel God working in me. I could see my life improving. I could see more trust and faith and reliance in God and less and less on things of this world! Happiness was, is, no longer found in material goods.


I look at where I am now, and wonder how I used to manage. I used to be miserable and long for things that I thought would make me happy. Oh how thankful I am where I am today and life is only going to get better with keeping my focus on God!

I want Christ to be within me. I want to radiate His light through me. I want to keep this focus on God! That is not to say that life is easy, but it sure is rewarding!

Every "bad day" is God breaking me and rebuilding me and shaping and forming me into something ever so beautiful! God is in control of my life. And it all began with me surrendering my life to Him- a little at a time. He should have always come first and foremost in my life, but unfortunately I got caught up in the ways of this world.

I have an app on my phone for "daily Mass readings" and there is a part that reflects upon one of the 2 to 3 readings. I almost always find them inspiring, and this one in particular has inspired this post, and I felt inclined to share the original source, seeing if I tried to take credit for something that is not mine, it would not get the point across as eloquently as Don does here. 


I wish these were my words because they are so beautiful, but all the credit goes to Don Schwager in response to Luke 17:7-10

Gospel
  Lk 17:7-10
Jesus said to the Apostles:
'Who among you would say to your servant
  who has just come in from plowing or tending sheep in the field,
'Come here immediately and take your place at table?'
  Would he not rather say to him,
'Prepare something for me to eat.
  Put on your apron and wait on me while I eat and drink.
  You may eat and drink when I am finished?'
  Is he grateful to that servant because he did what was commanded?
  So should it be with you.
  When you have done all you have been commanded, say,
'We are unprofitable servants;
  we have done what we were obliged to do.'


The Reflection:

"We are unworthy servants;
we have only done what was our duty"


Meditation:
"Are you ready to give the Lord your best, regardless
of what it might cost you? Perhaps we are like the laborer in Jesus' parable
who expected special  favor and reward for going the extra mile? How
unfair for the master to compel his servant to give more than what was
expected! Don't we love to assert our rights: "I will give only what is
required and no more!" But who can satisfy the claims of love? Jesus used
this parable of the dutiful servant to explain that we can never put God
in our debt or make the claim that God owes us something. We must regard
ourselves as God's servants, just as Jesus came "not to be served, but
to serve" (Matthew 20:28). Service of God and of neighbor is both a
voluntary or free act and a sacred duty. One can volunteer for service
or be compelled to do service for one's country or one's family when special
needs arise. Likewise, God expects us to give him the worship and praise
which is his due. And he gladly accepts the  free-will offering of
our lives to him and to his service. What makes our offering pleasing to
God is the love we express in the gift of self-giving. True love is sacrificial,
generous, and selfless.
How can we love others selflessly and unconditionally? Scripture tells
us that God himself is
love (1 John 4:16) because he is the author
of life and source of all relationships. He created us in love for love
and he fills our hearts with the boundless love that gives whatever is
good for the sake of another (Romans 5:5). If we love one another, God
abides in us and his love is perfected in us (1 John 4:12). God honors
the faithful servant who loves and serves others generously. He is ever
ready to work in and through us for his glory. We must remember, however,
that God can never be indebted to us. We have no claim on him. His love
compels us to give him our best! And when we have done our best, we have
simply done our duty. We can never outmatch God in doing good and showing
love. God loves us without measure. Does the love of God compel you to
give your best?"

"Lord Jesus, fill my heart with love, gratitude and generosity. Make
me a faithful and zealous servant for you. May I generously pour out my
life in loving service for you and for others, just as you have so generously
poured yourself out in love for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment