Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Cards I am Dealt

I have often heard, and perhaps sparingly used, the phrase "we just have to play the cards we are dealt" when referring to this journey of life.

Lately, I have gotten hooked on playing a game or two or three of Spades on my phone at random times. As I play, I guess how many tricks I think I will be able to win, then just start laying cards down. If my guess is wrong, and I get less tricks, or perhaps I get more tricks and end up with bags, I hit the lovely little button up in the left corner: "undo."

Life does not work as a game of cards does. In Spades, I am dealt cards and play them as I can. Sometimes I have to put one down that I wanted to save for a later time. Sometimes I over estimate, sometimes I under estimate the tricks I will win. But I can fix that by undoing and redoing.

Life cannot be undone. We play our cards and sometimes we over estimate, sometimes we under estimate. But we are left to deal with the choices we make. Some of those choices are great and we are confident that we are on the right path and life is good. Then there are those moments that leave us clamoring for an undo button.

How thankful I am for a forgiving, merciful Heavenly Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment