Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Thoughts into Words into Actions

Recently I have discovered my passion for reading again. This doesn't occur often, but there are some books in due seasons that I open up and cannot put down until I have finished it. Then there are books that I read and I put down a chapter or two in, but then pick up several months later and carry on right from where I left off.


The first is true about Don Miller's "Blue Like Jazz." I opened the book about a week ago, and I was planning to read a chapter a day - which would equal about 21 days or so. But as of last night, I am at the last 2 chapters. I plan to finish it tonight or tomorrow.


The second plays out when it comes to Lisa Bevere's "Girls with Swords." I started reading this book at least 4 or more months ago for the 3rd time. I was only reading it on breaks at work, when we hit the busy season, and didn't have much down time for book reading breaks. I picked it up again this week, and have realized what I love about it once again.


My struggle with reading, is that I feel like I nod along loving what I read, but it doesn't sink it. It doesn't stick around. I can read one sentence, or a whole chapter .. as soon as I close the book, ask me what I learned and I'll have to really think about it and see if anything was committed to memory. I hate that. I really wish I understood the grander picture and was able to turn the words and thoughts into actions.


To a certain degree, I feel this problem really isn't much of a problem. Yet at the same time I feel it might be more of one than I already admit.


I feel I can be too much of a realist. I don't really go beyond the surface level. I don't dig in deep. I don't search and compare and find similarities (all perceived in this moment, but I know that this is not actually 100% true; at least it does not apply to every area in my life).


Don Miller writes pretty much how he sees it and has lived it. He is transparent, and shares things in his book that I'd imagine you'd only know about him based off from reading the book. He doesn't write with an ashamed language. He puts it rather bluntly and gently. He hits the nail right on the head when it comes to the feels of living in a deeply ritualistic, religious way of living.


Lisa Bevere writes and compares how using God's Word as a Sword is like fencing. I can't say that I would have ever made that connection aside from reading the book. Then again, that's why the book sells, I'd imagine. Had she thought her ideas were crazy, I (and a lot of other people) would not have been blessed with the privilege of experiencing and applying her wisdom to our lives.


One of the most recent pages stated that when Jesus was obedient, all that looked crazy to the world, was ultimately what the world needed to give life. I look at Mary, the Mother of God, and see how her simple "Yes, Lord" changed history. I reflect on Abraham and Noah,and other Old Testament Names -- how when they said "Yes, Lord" the world mocked and ridiculed them. They changed the world. They risked looking foolish, and having to explain a whole lot had God not come through on His promises!


I look to this ancestors and I walk in faith with Foster Care. To the world it might look foolish to be doing this as a single parent. But to God, I have said "Yes, Lord. Send me."

No comments:

Post a Comment