Monday, March 12, 2012

God-Fearing

Lately I have been having many questions, struggles and fears. I have had lovely people take time to sit down and talk with me, explaining things, using analogies and just being wonderful in general. These moments have been a tremendous help and while I don't always walk away with strong convictions, they always aide in God revealing something beautiful to me. Then there are those things that come up and they are not always on the forefront of my mind so they don't typically come up in deep, theological discussions.

So, one of those things has been Fear of the Lord. What exactly is fear of the Lord? How does one fear the Lord? God loves us and wants us to approach him and love Him but we are suppose to ... fear Him? Doesn't that like contradict itself?

And while I still do not fully understand it all, I am taking baby steps. I realize that no matter how hard I try and no matter what I learn, I will never, ever learn all there is to know about God. But I am still thankful for those tad bits of revelation that get me thru the hard times and are used as stepping stones to get to the next thing God has in store for me.

Well, back to my revelation on Fear of the Lord.

I went to a different Mass last night, one that I have never been to before, with a pastor that I have no idea who he was. It was beautiful and the sermon was really good. Though I am not sure I know what exactly he meant the message to be, there was a good portion of it that God used him to speak to my heart and soul and reveal a small glimpse of what it means to Fear the Lord.

Thus analogy was used:

Imagine that you are driving down a wide open road late at night. You approach a red light and no one is seen at all. For a moment you think about just rolling thru the red light. But then the thought comes that there might be a cop sitting somewhere and you just don't see him. You don't want to get in trouble or get a ticket for breaking the law, so you sit there waiting for the light to change.

What if we all viewed God in a similar way? The different between God and the cop in this analogy is that God is everywhere. He always knows what we are doing, thinking, wishing, etc. Yet I feel that sometimes that is forgotten. I know that there are times when I carry on with my life "rolling thru the red lights" completely ignoring the fact that God is watching me.  When I actually sit and ponder the fact that God is indeed everywhere knowing all there is to know about me, it makes me want to rethink what I am doing, think about what I am about to do, reflect on what has already been done.

Fear the Lord because I know what He is capable of. Fear the Lord because I know it hurts Him when I disobey Him. Fear the Lord.

While I certainly do not have the best grasp on the extent of Fear of the Lord, this is a start. This is something that I can grasp and comprehend and use to stand on as I go forward.

I strive to be the woman that God wants me to be. I long to live my life for God. I am taking small steps towards the future, and continue to get to know my Lord, my Savior each and every day.

As always, any feedback is welcome.

God Bless!

Psalm 25:12-14 Who, then, is the man that fears the Lord? He will instruct him in the way chosen for him. He will spend his days in prosperity, and his descendants will inherit the land. The Lord confides in those who fear him; he makes his covenant known to them.

1 comment:

  1. Many people misunderstand 1 John 4:18:
    "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." They then apply it to mean that all manner of fear of God has been nullified. Fear of God is natural to anyone conscious about Him.

    Fear is not just provoked by an imminence of punishment or danger. It is, however, the instability and anxiety that result when one betrays the conscience and strays from the benevolence.

    I did a study on this topic. You may wish to have a look more insight: http://bit.ly/JpMy0B

    ReplyDelete