Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Self

Myself. Yourself. Themselves. Himself. Herself. Me, Myself and I.

Self-love. Self-pity. Self-hatred. Self-forgiveness. Self-harm. Self-doubt. Self-recognition. Self, self, self, self...

Many of these words or phrases are words that are heard, if not used by many, if not all of us, on a daily basis. Sometimes it seems that we live in such a fast paced world that is all about "me, myself and I." Sometimes there is such a feeling that "only I can fix myself," "no one can help, I have to do it," "I have to accept myself before anyone else will accept me ... love me ... etc."


There are many struggles associated with the self. Wouldn't life be so much simpler if we didn't rely on ourselves alone? The extraordinary thing is that we don't have to! We have an amazing God who is forever by our side! In the current world, God is almost all but forgotten. Instead of turning to God, we now turn inward, to ourselves to solve all of the worlds problems. We turn to our family, friends, neighbors, counselors, therapists, and anyone and everything but God!

To a certain degree, we do have to have that self-reliance, self-love, self-acceptance. But we must do it in accordance with God's Will. We must turn to Him in all our troubles and afflictions. Sometime turning to God IS by going to see any of the said persons mentioned above. God will guide us whom to turn to, all we have to do is have faith and trust in Him! We need to have faith and trust in Him to help us trust ourselves.

Too many days are spent belittling ourselves and putting ourselves down and just bashing ourselves. We hold onto the past and forget that Jesus died on the cross to save us. We are already forgiven; why continue holding onto the baggage, when Jesus and God don't? I have struggle with letting go of the past. There are just some things in my life that I still ask myself "Why??" "Why did I do that?" "Why didn't I stop that?"

Many of these things are revolving around a new special someone that I have been getting to know. The more we get to know each other, the more things we share with each other. This leads me to believe that at some point, if things continue as they are going, there will be a point when I share some things that I almost feel as though I want to bury and never let them resurface ever again. I start thinking "How can someone accept those things?" "How can someone forgive me?" "Why, why, why???" I have those moments when I realize that I learned and grew from the past. Then the devil gets in there and tries to tell me how horrible I am. He brings with him much fear, attached to all of this. Fear of rejection is prolly one of the biggest ones. Fear that when certain parts of my life have light shed on them, I am going to be left standing alone.

With that being said, that is all self-judgment. This person is an amazing person. I have to remember to have trust in the Lord. If God has intended this person to remain in my life, nothing in my past will keep us apart. Not to say it will be easy, but God will certainly help me.

Everything basically boils down to having a sole reliance on God. Thru Him ALL things are possible.

"Doubt is a pain too lonely to know that faith is his twin brother." — Khalil Gibran

No comments:

Post a Comment