Thursday, July 14, 2011

Slowing down and seeing the small things

How true is it, that we pass through the day, overlooking small, or in some cases, large things because we don't think that it is our obligation to do them? I know that I do it at times! How blessed, or cursed, we are that despite this obliviousness, the wold still moves on . . .


Lately, this short story that I grew up with has been coming to mind. I remember it was on a little sheet of paper, probably no bigger then 3inch by 4 inch and it was on the bulletin board and had countless thumbtack holes around the border.

"This is a story about four people: Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody.
There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody's job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done."


Apply this to finding a relationship with God and Jesus ... Imagine God standing there with all of His graces, just waiting to pour them upon those who stop and find Him. The graces are for Anybody and Everybody. Nobody stops to even notice what they are passing up. They believe that Somebody else will get to it when they feel like it.

The world we live in is so fast paced and almost no one stops even for a moment to pause and live in the moment. I have been blessed to recognize that I was living life in the fast lane and letting time slip away faster then I wished. I always thought I had places to be, people to see and was constantly on the go! I would get in my car and speed down the highway or backroads in an attempt to get where I needed to be faster! Oh how many things I missed along the way! Now, I have slowed down incredibly. I have gone back to going 65-70mph on the highway. Tonight, what a beautiful realization when I looked up at the sky on my drive home, and for once in a long time, actually saw, took in, was in complete awe of the magnificent cloudy, yet starlit sky!


I have been meeting wonderful people and getting together with them regularly. To have this blessing of friendship has no words to describe it. There is such a peace in knowing these people. There is no longing to be "the best friend." I am for once comfortable sharing. I love hearing them talk about their other friends, and the good times they have together. I realize that when I am me, I am loved for me. We all have different qualities that we offer each other. I offer something different and unique to our friendship. With all of the people I am meeting, I am clearly liked for being me! Aspiring to by myself has been one of my best realizations and blessings! I want to be accepted for me, just as much as I want to accept my friends just as they are.

Every step I take is illuminated by the light of God with His graces. What more could I possibly need? 


Dear Heavenly Father,
I thank You for yet another wonderful day. You have been such a beacon of light shining ever so bright, protecting me from going astray. I follow Your truths, O Lord. I want to live my life right in Your eyes. I want to live a holy and pleasing life according to Your laws. I was lost, but now I am found. When I thought You were the farthest, You stood by my side, picking up my hand and bringing me back to You. You have welcomed me home again. You are a God of mercy, a God of love. You have given me such joy! Joy in the places I've been, joy in the people I have met, joy in the relationships I am not forming! You are my rock! My foundation! Upon You will I build everything! Please continue to enrich my life with all of Your wonders! You ultimately know what is best for me, and even without my asking, You give and give and give! I receive with open arms! I pray for all of my family and my friends, past, present and future. I pray for those less fortunate then me, that they find You, O Lord, and ask for their lives to be enriched to the fullest! For all those people that often get unrightfully overlooked, scorned, judged, rejected, labeled, stereotyped, condemned, hurt, belittled, and the such, please shower them with extra blessings tonight. All this I ask through Jesus Christ, Our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment